Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!


This one has been a long time coming! I took a lot of breaks due to some issues and learned a lot along the way!

It all began when I found a secondhand quilt cover with two really pretty patterns:




I used my go-to pattern for the skirt. I went with the longer length skirt (view A and B) with the ruffle from the edge of the quilt cover on the bottom.


The ruffle.

I initially cut out a different bodice but I didn't like the fit. I decided to combine the two different fabrics into a Gunne Sax inspired dress with the bodice cut from remainders of both fabrics and a different bodice pattern. 


The bodice pattern I chose.


The new bodice pieces.

After that I abandoned the project for quite some time. The centre bodice and side front pieces refused to line up right. I checked and made sure I had cut them out right and I had. I received advice that I needed to notch them and they finally lined up! 

For the sleeves I had a limited amount of fabric so I had to go with quite small cap sleeves. Given a choice, I would have tried for a puffier look. I used New Look N6692, which I hope to make in full sometime.

I decided to go with a two colour skirt option too, I had just enough fabric to do what I wanted. I used the same panel design for each piece of the skirt (pattern M7500). I then cut down a panel in the front to match up exactly with the centre bodice panel, then had two normal side panels in the other fabric and fourth panel split at the back. These gave me enough of the gather I wanted without having to compromise the pattern choice and add more of the floral one. You definitely have to think about fabric when you only have a limited amount!


Because the fabric was quite old and a little transparent, I lined the bodice in full with plain white material from another piece of my sheet stash. I decided the skirt needed to be lined too, so I also used white sheeting for that. I pinned it to the lining and the outer skirt is pinned to the outer fabric, so that the waist is not too bulky.


A couple of nice outdoor photographs. Sadly due to the way the light outdoors works, the pattern doesn't really come out in the images.



All in all, I am happy with this dress! I would definitely use the bodice pattern again, and we all know the skirt is one my favourite go-tos.  I probably would not do full lining again, and just use a slip if needed due to the time it takes, and making the dress a bit bulkier and heavier. It does gape a little in the upper back as usual for me with dresses, I can't really do darts now because of the lining but it looks super cute and I am very happy with it. I am probably the only person who notices the small imperfections. I would like to try puffier sleeves next time I make a dress, but I had barely enough material for these. 
I really love the Gunne Sax inspired Cottagecore look of this dress and would like to make more things out of my secondhand sheet stash!


Out with Caite in the hats we made.

Comments

  1. You did a wonderful job of it! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, aren't you clever! I'm always in awe of people who can turn their hand to dressmaking. Absolutely loving your Gunne Sax inspired frock, Laura! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is incredible. You did a great job. I love it. Beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both look so pretty - nice work! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This gorgeous. Love it ! Well done for hacking all those different patterns and ending up with something nicer than each of them. Really like what you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm way behind on your posts, Laura! Love this creative use of an old quilt to make a fabulous dress - well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Queensland Holiday Part 1: Ripley's Believe It or Not

Update