Queensland Holiday part 6: Warner Bros. Movie World

 Day 5: Thursday

On the last full day we went to Warner Bros. Movie World. We both went separately in the early 90s as children with our families. Sadly some of the great rides from our childhoods such as the Gremlin ride were gone. As a kid this ride terrified me but I'd love to see it again! There's a YouTube video if you are interested.

Fun fact: as a kid in the 90s I always wanted a toy mogwai. I finally found one at a secondhand shop but my brother convinced me it was Spike instead of Gizmo and I couldn't enjoy it.


I am not sure if it was because we went off-season, but the Western area was sadly abandoned looking.  There were no character actors, the restaurants were shut and the main ride there was closed for maintenance.  I remember a great Wild West show from my childhood but it was no more. I am not sure if the area is active in summer only or if they are planning to renovate.


Image from Warner Bros. Movie World webpage

Apparently in the 90s there was a police driving show which I don't remember. There's now a stunt driving show based around racing  called Hollywood Stunt Driver 2 that was cheesy but fun. There was a clown-like police ranger who jumped in front of cars which takes a lot of skill and confidence!


The highlight for me was definitely Catwoman from the Tim Burton film, Batman Returns. She wandered around in character and her acting was perfect!  At one point she was leaning against a tree in a very cat-like manner. There was also had a reenactment of the film robbery scene in the main street. She definitely renewed my crush on Catwoman!









The Batman exhibition was really good. It contained costumes and props from most of the Batman movies except the newest one.





The cowls looked so spooky with no faces in them!




There was a show with 1920s flappers who drove up in a Vintage car and danced in the street, although the music was modern, so they had a kind of a Baz Luhrmann's Gatsby or Postmodern Jukebox vibe.



This was the song they danced to.

I had a vegan Ben and Jerry's icecream. My partner got some pulled pork tacos from Dirty Harry's.

There was a lot of overpriced merchandise and you could pay a lot to have official photos taken with some of the actors, but we didn't do that.

My partner went on the Green Lantern Coaster and the Doomsday Destroyer rides, both of which go upside-down and the Batwing Spaceshot which is a drop ride. I am not into thrill rides so I did not go on them. We both went on Justice League 3D which was fairly uneventful point and shoot dark ride (which was good for me) and the Scooby Doo 3D ride which honestly just gives you a sore neck and back and I do not recommend.


After we left Movie World we still had some time left in the day so we went to Pacas Recyling Store* in Surfer's Paradise. This is an old fashioned secondhand shop like we had before thrifting became trendy. Just big racks of cheaply priced clothes restocked once a week. Most things are only $3 or $6 which is getting rare in Australian shops. Everything is washed but some things are stained or damaged, although that was kind of the charm of the place. We ended up getting a big plastic bag full of clothes. Nothing really fancy, just some nice tops mostly. 

*Pacas confusingly goes by Paca's Recycle store, Pacas Recycling shop and Pacas opshop on various different media but it is all the same store.


Photo found online

We had dinner at The Hog's Breath Cafe. This is a Australian restaurant chain styled on an American steakhouse. It has been around since 1989 but I had never been. Since they have vegan meal options now, it seemed a great time to check it out. I liked the cheesy theme, and the burger was huge and messy but very tasty. It had pineapple and a huuuge amount of avocado. It was probably one of the best burgers I have had.


My dinner: Vegan Troppo burger with Curly fries


My partner's dinner: steak with sweet potato chips

 Day 6: Friday- Final day

Friday was our final day so we couldn't travel too far. Luckily the hotel was able to hold our bags for us, but we needed to be able to get back to the hotel, get our bags and travel back to the airport, so we stayed local.

We went back to Paca's Recycling, had another look around and found some more clothes.


We found a little arcade (Cavill Lane) that had this cute fake cherry blossom tree and a restaurant called Doña Bertha's. The owner is a Columbian chef with over 40 years experience. They serve different foods from all around South America. We had a freshly squeezed guava juice with our meals.


My partner's meal: crispy chinculines (beef intestine) with criolla potatoes


My meal: Fritos: fried patacones (green plantain), arepa (corn bread), criolla potato, yuca, tajadas (sweet plantain slices) and deditos de queso (cheese fingers, which I didn't eat).

I highly recommend you try Doña Bertha's if you are ever in Surfer's Paradise!


Doña Bertha, image from their Facebook page.

I also got bubble tea from another Gong Cha outlet and we walked along the beach one more time. Then it was time to go home. 

Thus ended our Queensland holiday!

Comments

  1. What an adventure you've had! I loved the 90s Batman films - I always remember them being such an event and Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was wonderful. The name Hog's Breath made me laugh. Hopefully the the brand name doesn't form part of the staff job descriptions! It's only 11.25 am and now I'm hungry after all the pics of mouthwatering food! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd follow that Catwoman anywhere! Sounds like you hit the jackpot at that thrift store. And you certainly ate well on holiday -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that Gremlin ride looks proper scary! Such a pity it was no longer there. Seems you still had a fantastic time nonetheless.
    Well done on scooping up a bag of stuff at that second hand store, and oh my, doesn't that food look absolutely delicious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved Gremlins and Gremlins 2 - and the Tim Burton Batman movies retain a special place in my heart. How fun! I love that Catwoman - she looks fab!

    Yeah, second hand shops here are becoming more pricey too - thank goodness there are still a few real charity/thrift stores here (op shops, you call 'em).

    Have a great weekend, Laura!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!

Update

Melbourne Day 5 and 6