Cottagecore and Dark Academia Haul


My finds:


This lovely cameo bracelet. If anyone knows when this is from please let me know!


I forgot to get a photo of this DVD before I lent it out so here is a stock photo. It was not the best mystery ever but good for its time. The hero is adorably awkward and also really not great at art. I am not sure if the latter was intentional or they forgot to hire someone really good at art to do the portraits like they usually do on TV shows. They might have been making a point about rich people back then being dilettantes but I was not sure. Everyone acted like he was really good.


This weathered but lovely edition of Poe.






This school copy of Tennyson, given as a prize. I don't know if a lot of schools did this, but it can't have been cheap.


The bookplate with the details of the prize winner for needlework in December 1920. The school is a girl's school in Sydney. It was originally opened in a terrace house by Miss Marian Clarke on 20 July 1885. It moved to larger premises at Wahroongah in 1898 and appears to have operated at that location since. It is a private school, currently for girls from pre-school upwards and high school students can board onsite.

The Abbotsleigh motto, Tempus celerius radio fugit, may be translated from Latin as "Time flies faster than the weaver's shuttle". As the shuttle flies a pattern is woven; the shuttle of time also weaves a pattern of which the threads are people, buildings and events. The motto was given to the school by Miss Marian Clarke, whose family crest was a weaver's shuttle surrounded by the motto, Tempus fugit radio celerit. The school used this form until 1924, when it decided that the ungrammatical Latin should be changed to the present word order, which has been used ever since.

The reference to the weaver's shuttle is also believed by many to be a reference to the "proper" place of women in terms of domestic duties/servitude to men. Some members of the school community have called for the motto to be changed to keep pace with modern views on feminine rights. Wikipedia.

As you can see mine still has the ungrammatical original motto.





The Wicked Lovely series is one of my favourite series of Fae stories. You can read about some of my other favourites here.


Akira graphic novel part 1. This was one of the first animes I saw.


A memory book with some very OTT llamas.



My violet plates. Violets are one of my favourite flowers and feature on my floral tattoo sleeve.


The other pieces of my violet collection so far. The two cups on either end were opshop finds, the one in the middle was from a friend, I believe she got it secondhand.



My new William Morris mugs.

What did you think was the best find? Do you have a favourite china pattern?

Comments

  1. I loved that BBC adaptation of The Moonstone, it was just as good as the book (not often the case). LOve the Poe & Tennyson books, they're beautiful.
    I'm not really a fan of dainty china - terrible considering I'm descended from one of the great Staffordshire pottery dynasties! I love the bold designs of William Morris so those mugs are a winner. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great finds here, Laura. I'm particularly loving the cameo bracelet and the Poe! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!

Update

Melbourne Day 5 and 6