Sewing: Steampunk Skirt from McCalls M7500 (Again)

I finally finished my skirt from the McCalls M7500 pattern. I posted about the mock up here

The fabric is from a friend, Roli. I love the key pattern. The ruffle is made from a bedsheet. I am finally getting used to sewing ruffles which I have always found incredibly frustrating.

One of the reasons it took so long is because I tried a few different types of waistband. In the end I wasn't happy with any of them so I ended up turning the fabric over at the waist to make a channel for the elastic as I did on the mock up. I am quite happy with this as it allows a lot of adjustment if my weight fluctuates and it still looks quite neat. 


Without petticoat


With petticoat. Obviously it would look better with a white/cream petticoat so I will have to get one. 


I think this will become a go-to pattern, I have more Steampunk patterned fabric I want to use. 

Next I want to make a matching bolero if I have enough fabric left over.

Comments

  1. Its looking good. Don't worry about the waistband. Its often easiest to do exactly what you have done and only you will ever notice anyway and as you say its adjustable so more comfortable. How did you do the ruffle? Its easiest to do two rows of very big ( loose) stitches to gather along the to-be-gathered edge. You leave long tails of threads at both ends of this stitching. You can secure one end using a pin or something so it doesnt undo later. Then you pull one thread on both of the rows on one side at the same time. You have to be careful now not to break the threads. Once you have the gathers reasonably even you pin onto the bit you want to attach the rufle to and sew between the two rows you sewed to do the gathering. For this row of stitching you use a smaller stitch because its the final sewing to do the attachment so you want it to stay there permanently. Then you are meant to pull out / unpick the loose rows of sewing used the do the gathers just leaving the final row you use to attach the ruffle. TBH I often just unpick the bits that show because I am lazy! Anyway this looks good to me. Very nice fabric! Though the link to the earlier one is not working for me. I will try again later. I am interested to see how the tester differs from this one. Would the tester work as a petticoat I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That key pattern is gorgeous Laura, and well done on sewing that ruffle. It will look absolutely amazing with a white or cream petticoat and a bolero in the same fabric! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Yes, a matching bolero would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! The fabric is fabulous and the ruffle is perfect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I also look forward to seeing your bolero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the key pattern! Well done on this, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore that pattern. LOL, and am super envious of your sewing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous make! That key print fabric is gorgeous! I would so buy that in scrapbooking paper form, if it was sold as such, too.

    Love your idea of making a bolero, if the remaining fabric permits. If not, perhaps you could make one in a solid hue and trim some areas (sleeve ends, bottom hem, etc) with the key print material.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!

Queensland Holiday Part 1: Ripley's Believe It or Not

Update