Melbourne Day 4

 DAY 4

WEDNESDAY: South Melbourne 

We went to the South Melbourne Markets in the morning. I grabbed an iced decaf coffee on soy. We got to try bushfood popcorn from Uncle Charlie's Tastes of Country. Our favourite was Bush tomato and River Mint. We grabbed two bags as presents. I wish I had got more because I kept wanting to eat it myself!


Image not mine.

They had an Oyster bar where you could buy a few oysters at eat them at this wooden bar with condiments. They also had cooked lobster, sea urchins, and all sorts of other seafood you could eat there. It was an interesting set up I had not seen before. (Obviously I did not eat any.)










The weather was really good again so we decided to grab food and take it to a park instead of the food court. We got vegan slices: Notella and a chocolate and raspberry which was really rich and delicious. We also grabbed a sourdough baguette, a rhubarb, apple and watermelon juice and more oysters for Jon. 

We walked to a little local park. We aren't sure if it was Albert Park or Anzac Gardens. There were beautiful big old oak trees and we sat under them on a bench. The park was small and right next to the road but it was well laid out and surrounded by trees, so that it felt peaceful and private once we were inside. We saw a couple of people walking dogs. It was very peaceful. We saw a currawong family and a weird scrawny hopping bird. 





Mushrooms



The currawong family


A house I liked. There were many beautiful old houses of all different styles around Melbourne.

We checked out the local opshops. One had a lot of damaged items and really high prices due to being a rather gentrified area. The other was more of a warehouse type shop and had better prices.


I think this was possibly a repaint where someone added butterflies to the original? I love it and would have bought it if I could have got it home without paying a fortune!

Jon got a guitar string and guitar strap at a cool music store where everyone was very helpful.


Another lovely wall mural.

Went back to central Melbourne and saw some of the famous street art and St Paul's Cathedral. We saw The Royal Arcade, Melbourne's oldest undercover shopping precinct. 


St Paul's Cathedral. Probably one of the most decorated churches I have ever seen!



There were multiple mosaic designs on the floor and walls.



I particularly liked this one because of the oak leaves and acorns.


The lid on the baptismal font was wild.



Hozier Lane.

I felt uncomfortable in Hozier Lane because it is a famous lane where everyone is photographing the art, but there were also a lot of homeless people living there and I felt the dichotomy very strongly. I suppose the presence of so many tourists maybe makes it a safer place to camp out but it still felt wrong to me that everyone was glibly posing for pictures and ignoring the homeless people. 

We went to The Wolf Windsor for dinner.


Bang Bang Cauliflower. I didn't have the chilli sauce because I can't handle hot things.


Steak and chips for Jon.

For dessert we went to the Lukumades outlet nearby. We had two flavours: Lotus Crunch (Biscoff crumbs and melted Biscoff) and golden maple (maple syrup and crushed oreo) and a lychee refresher. 

We went to the Kono Coin Karaoke booths near our hotel. They were these tiny booths where you could pay cash. The blonde girl behind the counter was bored and on her phone which was amusing, she kind of felt like a movie character. The songs were sometimes off tempo and all the cheesy, bad things kind of felt like part of the experience.

Comments

  1. You certainly ate some delicious-looking food on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laura! I enjoyed the trip to Melbourne, especially the beautiful park, old houses and wall murals. Hozier Lane looks fascinating, but I agree with you. It wouldn't sit right with me either, posing for photos with homeless people in the vicinity. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes totally feel the same way about the homeless. There are more any more in the UK and our govt simply does nothing. The fact they sorted places for every homeless person when covid hits proves its a choice they (Govt) make not the situation in our country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!

Melbourne Day 5 and 6

Update