Thrift Haul


A modern Victorian inspired blouse with lace and pintucks. If you've been following for a while you'll know how much I love Victorian inspired items.



Beautiful beads that catch the light!


Vintage style spoon and metal trinket box. Possibly pewter. I love the tarnished look of the spoon.


Gilbert and Sullivan The Gondoliers DVD


A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens




Even the back is beautiful!


Harmsworth History of the World Vol 8: America.

Excuse my weird vampire looking hand, I swear my hands actually look normal.

I originally guessed this copy was printed in maybe the 50s, but perhaps it could be from the thirties. After looking into it a little these books were originally published in 1907-1909 but this does not look like the original version and I am sure it is a later reprint. The paper is glossy and photos are printed throughout without separate illustration plates as in the other book but it is still cloth bound. I am certainly not an antiquarian books expert however so anything I say is guesswork. Below is a picture of one of the original editions:


Here are some pictures from inside my edition:






An article by H.G. Wells!



An Australian theatre magazine from around the 30s I think.







A 70s(?) style handmade dress.


I hope you enjoyed my haul! Let me know what your favourite item was!

Comments

  1. Oh I love all of the items you found! I have a thing for Victorian clothes too, but they're very hard to come by. I had no idea that Charles Dickens had written a history book for children! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the fashion brands that make the kind of Victorian inspired things I like are either tiny Asian brands or lovely fancy things I can't afford, but secondhand clothes shops occasionally throw me a gem!

      I didn't know about the book until I saw it! A very interesting find!

      Delete
  2. You hit the jackpot in the old books department! I recognized Sir Wilfred Laurier right away on that page "The Makers of Modern Canada" (the round portrait in the middle). A former Prime Minister, as quite a few of those other men were too. Beautiful LOOKING books but I'm sure the "history" told in them is pure BS, full of racism, colonialism and male supremacist crap by today's standards, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suspect there are some very outdated views in them!

      Delete
  3. I've got a few of those Harmsworth books, I'm pretty sure yours is an original. The illustration on the theatre brochure is absolutely gorgeous, I'd have to frame her.
    The pintucked blouse is really pretty. I'm always rescuing old wedding dresses, too - I've no idea why, I loathe weddings! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it a gorgeous illustration!

      Well, one can always wear a wedding dress without a wedding! XD

      Delete
  4. What a great haul, Laura! I particularly love that Victorian inspired blouse and the pewter trinket box. Oh, and I would definitely have picked up the books and the theatre magazine as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your video immensely, Laura! I loved seeing all the things you found. I agree on all of your dating - I said "Seventies" when I saw that dress. I think the dress is my favourite, although I am drawn to the spoon. I want to eat sorbet with it so I can see the curves in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with the dress and the magazine. You know, I haven't checked my local thrift shops magazines in some time--I always get distracted by the books--but I shall definitely remember next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress and the trinket box. Must admit that unless its an old pattern or knitting/ craft magazine I just never look. I need to change that I think. You certainly have some good shops in your part of the world. We do get old books but magazines are very rare.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Cover to Cottagecore Dress!

Queensland Holiday Part 1: Ripley's Believe It or Not

Melbourne Day 5 and 6